Date: 9-10 July 2016 Venue: Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan Deadline for abstract submission: 15 July 2015
- Prof Mona Baker (The University of Manchester, UK) http://www.manchester.ac.uk/research/Mona.baker/
- Prof Keijiro Suga (Meiji University, Japan) http://www.meiji.ac.jp/cip/english/undergraduate/science/faculty.html
The conference intends to provide participants an opportunity to share their views on East Asian translation and its scholarship and to seek the possibility to extend the concept and role of East Asia to further develop TS.
We invite papers on the following topics and beyond:
- Translation and interpreting in East Asia;
- East Asian traditions of literary translation;
- Circulation and consumption of translation in East Asia;
- Networks and collaborations among interpreters and translators;
- Translation and interpreting for immigrant communities in East Asia;
- Community interpreting in East Asia
- Post-colonial approaches to translation;
- Gender identities in the East Asian context;
- Pedagogical approach to translation in East Asia;
- Translation in popular culture, such as animation, comics, music, TV dramas, films;
- Translation by amateurs, such as fansubs, scanlations and volunteer translation;
- Machine translation, computer-aided translation and East Asian languages.
We also welcome proposals for cross-language panels on inspiring topics (either 3 or 6 speakers in one panel).
The conference language is English, but we welcome presentations of translated papers and can arrange interpreters for Q&A by request. Please note this in your abstract submission.
We plan to publish selected papers.
Local organizer Dr Mariko Naito (School of Information and Communication, Meiji University, Japan) http://gyoseki1.mind.meiji.ac.jp/mjuhp/KgApp?kyoinId=ymdigbomggy
Steering Committee Dr Gloria Lee (Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong) http://www.tran.hkbu.edu.hk/PDF/cv_glorialee.pdf Dr Nana Sato-Rossberg (SOAS, University of London, UK) http://www.soas.ac.uk/staff/staff95058.php [in alphabetical order]
Date: 9 and 10 July 2016
Venue: Surugadai Campus, Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan http://www.meiji.ac.jp/cip/english/about/campus/index.html
Registration Fee: General: 10,000 JPY, Students (with ID): 5,000 JPY
Please submit your abstract of no more than 300 words by 15 July 2015 to the following email address:
Successful applicants will be informed before 30 September 2015.
Email address for enquiry
Prof Sungeun Cho (Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, Korea) Prof Theo Hermans (University College London, UK)
Prof Sharon Tzu-Yun Lai (National Taiwan Normal University, Taiwan) Dr Marcella Mariotti (Ca' Foscari University of Venice, Italy)
Prof Robert Neather (Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong) Dr Akiko Uchiyama (The University of Queensland, Australia) Prof Judy Wakabayashi (Kent State University, USA)
Prof Kozo Watanabe (Ritsumeikan University, Japan) [in alphabetical order]
With the kind support of
Kansai Translation Studies Kenkyu-kai.